Thursday, July 16, 2009

Choose your own adventure

A favorite from my childhood was the "Choose your own Adventure" book series. Loved it. I remember being about 11 years old, and discovering it for the first time. Each year at Copper Mountain Elementary they would have a book fair where you could buy new books. I'd go in, and buy a couple of these and pour through them. I also would go back to the school library to find everyone they had available. I'd get to a "junction" in the story, dog-ear my page, then flip ahead and read the consequence of my decision, then flip back and go the other route. I used to also love the Mad Libs series but that's besides the point.

I kind of see the Green Traveller series in the same vein as the "choose your own adventure" books. Choose path A, or path B. Go back to page 76... flip to page 82. The pilot is ram packed with decisions, with various outcomes. The only problem is, I can't cheat and peek into the future and find out what the outcomes are. Our decision sticks, there is no going back.

The voyage would appear to be "planned," but there are so many factors involved, you can't help but feel that once things get going, all my planning will go out the window. We'll have to continuously make decisions along the way. Should we overnight here, should we drop this location from the shoot... lets try to squeeze this in. Every decision will have a consequence. I think as long as we accept that some things will/may/could fall flat, and we are ready to adapt, we'll be okay. Unless option A) takes us into the mouth of a giant Kraken - the end.

I would also like to introduce this goofy meathead. This is Marc. The Green Traveller's co-producer and main cameraman. He just arrived yesterday. The past 24 hours has been us acting like a couple of excited school kids. We've also been pulling our hair out trying to go over the small details. Regardless, we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

This time tomorrow, we will be on the mighty Skeena River. Kind of hard to believe. It's been many months of planning, and the voyage officially is here. At the end of the weekend, we'll be back here in Prince Rupert. At that point we'll have a very good sense of how the Green Traveller will play out.

Anyway wish us luck, as we make hopefully right choices... and find our own adventure.

RD


"When you have to make a choice and don't make
it, that is in itself a
choice."
-- William James

1 comment:

  1. good luck guys ,I'm sure it'll go as you have planned if not better !

    ReplyDelete