Monday, July 13, 2009

Not easy being ________!

Today and tomorrow I'll be dealing with what I think will be the hardest part of doing this project. My wife and I had a baby girl just two months ago. Little Kali is growing so fast, and for the next month I will not see her. My wife is going to a wedding in Golden, so she is taking Kali south for a couple of weeks. When they return, I'll have already left for Haida Gwaii. It's not a long time, but a month away from Jude and the little one at this time in our lives will be a little bothersome. For the majority of my shoot, I'll be off the grid... so there will be no contact for the majority of it. I'll just have to give them both extra big hugs tomorrow, and tell Jude to take lots and lots of pictures. In the grand scheme of things, it is a road bump in this trip called life, but nonetheless it will be a couple of "down" days.

As far as the project is concerned, Marc is on his way. He arrives here on Wednesday, and has a big couple of days ahead of him. On the day he arrives, he'll be headed to the docks for a sailing (to get his sea legs with captain Marty Bowles.) When he returns, we'll be packing and getting everything ready. We also will have to best plan our shots for the first leg of the trip.

The first leg is our first real challenge. The trip is not going to be seamless. We'll shoot on the weekend. Then the next shooting stretch will not start til July 24th. This will be great practice for us, and I think we'll be "ironing" out the kinks of the project. The plan is to depart as early as we can on Friday We'll have to get to Terrace with our gear and bikes, than we'll hop on board the ol' drift-boat for 2 1/2 days. We plan to camp on the banks of the Skeena river... shooting b-roll and documenting the green journey. Late Sunday, we will make landing at roughly 40 kilometers outside of Prince Rupert, where I'll be biking the remainder of the way.

I'll then work a week at CBC, (I work the Friday morning the starting date, hosting a morning radio show program and get off at around noon). then have "official" time off to work on the Green Traveller exclusively. If weather pans out... I'll be sailing as early as the 24th. You never know what you're facing though. Fog has been especially thick the past week in the harbour, and into the open ocean, so we'll have to pray for weather.

Despite some issues, I'm still very hopeful... happy... and optimistic.

“Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.” -- Bernice Johnson Reagan


1 comment:

  1. you two made one beautiful baby and you look super rad awesome as a daddy!! i love it!
    sorry you are going to be missing you precious wee one.

    ReplyDelete