Friday, July 10, 2009

The Ultimate Green Traveller

(Photo Courtesy of Northword Magazine)
http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-plfCg1rw


I was thinking about our official launch day into the Skeena River. I couldn't help but think about another person who is embarking on her own "carbon neutral" voyage through the northwest.
Her name is Ali Howard. Her plan? To swim more than 600 kilometers down the Skeena River. That my friends is AMAZING!!!
We had her on our morning CBC radio program a few months back. At the time she had been training at a pool, but had been working out I believe near Stewart.
Her plan is to be the first to swim from the Skeena's source to the Pacific Ocean, in just four weeks. The purpose behind her swim is to raise awareness about the Sacred Headwaters, and the watershed that relies on this amazing river system. Pretty impressive regardless.
Anytime I get nervous about my shoot... I just think about this huge task that Ali is about to embark on, and well frankly it puts things into perspective.
Judging by my calendar Ali will be departing two days before we launch our driftboat on the 18th. Good luck Ali... a true Green Traveller!!!

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

-- Walter Bagehot

No comments:

Post a Comment