Sunday, July 5, 2009

A glimpse into the future.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from
the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
-- Mark Twain
As promised, I have a nice update w/ pics from my most recent trip to the "Island." It was a short trip... much shorter than I would have liked, but it gave me a small taste of what to expect.

One thing, though, that I did not expect was the amazing weather. Friday night was an absolute dream. I stood outside near Queen Charlotte City for a spell just to soak it all in. There was a slight chill in the air, a star filled sky, and a bright moon that night. Almost poetic.


The docks nearby were full with commercial vessels. In the far off distance, you could see the lights emanating from Sandspit, and throughout the harbor front, sailboats were all moored up. It was quite a night.



The next morning, I had to get up quite early and bike to the Haida Heritage Center. It was an amazing morning. There was that sweet cedar morning smell, along the waterfront. The bike ride to the center was a great way to start the day. The sky was clear. The birds were chirping. Only one vehicle drove by me on the highway as I made my way to the home of Kaay Llnagaay (Sea Lion Town). I arrived early, so I had time to kill. I walked around the heritage center, which I must say is a marvel. I was at this very location a year ago for its opening, and even a year later I am impressed. The architect who designed it, came up with a modern longhouse design that fused the old with the new. It was designed to be made with mostly local materials. As you walk through the halls, and various "longhouses," the smell of cedar permeates throughout each room. The museum is amazing, and displays various artifacts - new and old- that have been repatriated over the years.

Along the side are the canoe sheds and various workshops. You can't help but stand in awe, as you see yesterday's cultural skills put into practice. On this morning, in the shed there lie three canoes, and a mostly finished totem pole.

My favorite thing about the museum, is how it overlooks the ocean. I LOVE it. As you come in on the ferry, it actually looks like a number of longhouses along the beach. Very cool.



Anyway, the day was spent mostly biking around Skidegate and Queen Charlotte City. In the few times I've been to the Island, I had never once visited "Balance Rock." So I decided why not. My friend and i biked past Skidegate village. Both our faces slightly burned from a day in the sun. After a few a short bike, we arrived.


So all in all, it was a brief but fun preview of what's coming in just a matter of weeks. What is ahead? Well, a sea voyage through Gwaii Haanas, an excursion with new friends, a summer concert, and bike to a scenic beach.



No comments:

Post a Comment