Monday, June 29, 2009

I love the idea of camping



"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature." - Anne Frank

There are many things I think I would like to do. Many times over though, my expectations are dashed upon arrival. I've enjoyed fishing. I've enjoyed camping. I've enjoyed biking. I've enjoyed hiking. But to be honest, I can't say I enjoy any of those activities 100 percent of the time. For the most part when I'm in the middle of one of those aforementioned activities I'm underwhelmed. I think its my own mind set. I think to truly adore that scary outside place, a person has to alter their mind space. I'm not talking about acid/mushrooms silly. I'm talking about slowing down our racing minds, and learning to absorb those little things you may miss as you look around for the next stimuli to grace your eyeballs.

I used to be so proud of my multitasking abilities. I felt proud that I could juggle numerous activities at once. I am an apprentice in many things.. but the master of nothing. I think my brain has been jacked into this whirlwind society, and as a result I have societal ADHD (or societal ADD or whatever you want to call it). To be honest I think most people are the same. Many people like to think they have some sort of special individual fallacy. The honest truth (sorry if this sounds blunt), I think ADHD, more times than naught is misdiagnosed. (And no I'm not a Doctor, this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt) I lump it into the same category as Fibromyalgia, and Migraine Sufferers.
I am NOT saying these illnesses don't exist. Not at all. In fact i know many folks who suffer from these debilitating illnesses and condiations. What I'm saying is these diagnosis' in particular are being abused by millions of people looking for a medical diagnosis for their problems. You know you no somebody with one of these "illnesses" that drives you crazy with their chronic trips to the doctor. Every month its something new. They abuse the system, but you could never tell them that.
Anyway on to my point.... I was talking about MY societal ADHD. It's not a medical condition, its not an incurable disease, its not something I can take medication for. Basically it is my continuous jacked in life. On a daily basis, my day is filled with random emails, facebook messages, text messages, TV time, videogame time, phone conversations etc. Most of these activities are concurrent with one another. I'm not alone... no siree. Our minds are so splintered by our day-to-day living we may feel tired, but at the sametime feel like we've accomplished nothing. What I'm saying is almost everybody who has a computer, TV, radio, cellphone, Ipod... likely have some form of societal ADHD. It's not a medical condition. It's our mental consciousness growing dependent on the ever expanding technological consciousness.
This, my friends, is why nature bores me at times and sometimes scares me. This is why I have a hard time enjoying the simpler things. Therefore I'm prescribing myself a three week dose of Green Traveller. If symptoms persist... I suck.



No comments:

Post a Comment