Sunday, June 21, 2009

Organizing the unorganizable

Its quite interesting to try something you've never done before. I have abackground in radio journalism, with a dash of TV experience (actually.. maybe more like a pinch). This project isn't a paint-by-numbers goal. The path to fruition is not a straight line. Each week, each day, I'm learning that if you truly want something, you have to learn how to cope when the chips are down. Its easy to give up. As I've been told many times over, when you want something you will be given a thousand reasons to give up. What seperates dreamers from do'ers is that the do'ers will continue, regardless of how coherent those thousand dream-dashing reasons are.

This week has been a tough one. It's easy to doubt yourself, and your project when you don't have a model to follow. The Green Traveller idea is simple. Get from point A to point B via the greenest means possible. Executing this though, is anything but simple.

I'll give you an example. We still dont' have sponsorship. We have plenty of people who LOVE the concept. We just don't have people willing to shell out cash for an unproven concept. Each week, I've found new costs, and my budget keeps going up and up and up. I've received a number of suggestions about where I should look for money. The strange thing is, I have to make sure I know where that money comes from. I can't for the sake of this project ask an oil company or dirty business or cash. It would go against the message of the overall pilot. So thats a toughie. Either way, I'm in too deep, so likely the cost will fall on my shoulders.

Another difficulty I'm having is acheiving my fully realized idea. The current rough schedule is as follows. Bike to Terrace, BC. Drift-boat down the Skeena River to Port Edward, than bike from Port Edward to Prince Rupert. After that, I'll sail across Hecate Straits to Haida Gwaii. After that, I'll head into Gwaii Haanas park. After I've visited a number of sites, I'll kayak for three days, then make my way back to Skidegate. From there I'll bike north to Massett, then North beach.

That sounds straight forward right? Wrong. What happens if I don't get the weather to sail across? What happens if I cannot meet my kayaking group at the right point at the right time while in Gwaii Haanas park? (there is no cellrange, or way of making contact while in the park). How do I get my bikes across? (they can't fit on the 40 foot sailboat).... Right now I feel like a guy trying to thread a needle, but 100 miles away.... blind. It's crazy.

All I have to say is... keep your eye on the prize Robert. Never give up, otherwise you'll always wonder what could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment