Friday, June 26, 2009

An up and down day

Making this pilot, or rather organizing it has been one heck of a ride. It's not even close to starting and man is it ever tiring. Today was one of those good days. Why? Well because it was one of those rare days where things have been falling into place. I'll start by saying, raising money or finding sponsorship is tough. Few will take a chance on something with virtually no guarantees. Although my team is an experienced lot, this as a group effort is entirely new. The most concrete thing going for us, is the vision that this will be amazing. The concept is absolutely rock solid. Unfortunately money doesn't pour in, on ideas. This is part of the reason why I wanted to make this in the first place.

I had initially came up with the idea for the Green Traveller well over a year ago. I put together a synopsis, and naively started contacting people all over North America. I wanted to find someone to get as excited over it as I was and just make it. Well, that is not the way TV shows get made I quickly learned.

Anyway, my mind works in a weird way. For the most part, I'm a guy with a million ideas. I throw them all against the wall, and eventually one of them sticks. I recall driving back and forth along highway 16 for various reasons, and I couldn't shake this TV pilot idea. Like an addiction, I NEEDED to keep the ball rolling. I NEEDED to make it. I can't quite put into words how I felt about the idea at the time, but it was almost euphoric.

Marc Buzzell, is my cameraman on this pilot (we have a 2nd who has joined us on the island named Dafne Romero). Anyway, he's worked in the film industry for a number of years now. He's also my wife's sisters common-law boyfriend. We've talked about working on a project for years. I told him about this idea, and he was sold.

For the past 8 months we've been putting this together. Today, was the first day where I felt things had come together. Not the money part mind you, but the actual planning of the trip from beginning to end. Through back and for negotiations with my sailboat operator, kayaking sponsor, drift boat operator, and on-island camera-gal (Dafne), everything has comfortably fit together like a puzzle. Trust me, this is amazing. I've been so stressed trying to fit it all together.

I know things have a way of working out if you want it badly enough. In a weird way I feel like I'm being guided down this path. I can't explain it. Since the vision of this pilot was planted in my head, everything has slowly come together. Its been tough work so far, and I know there will be many challenges ahead, but I get this weird sense everything is going to be alright. It will be amazing to look back on this experience a year from now.


A quote for today:



"Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our
possibilities become limitless."
- Jamie Paolinetti



No comments:

Post a Comment