Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What to read, what to read

If you know me, you know where I'm from. Born and raised in northern BC, I'm no stranger to the north. It seems almost like cheating that I'm doing my "travel" pilot right in my backyard, but to be fair, the concept of the Green Traveller works amazingly well in this area. Anyway, the reason I bring up where I'm from is that although I live here, there is a lot i need to know about travelling in northern B.C.


I'm not aiming to lecture the viewers about the history of BC in my pilot. That is not the point. The idea of the green traveller is to challenge myself to be as green as possible while travelling. The voyage is the story. Nonetheless, I'm doing a fair bit of reading to bone up on my travel knowledge.

For the Skeena River portion of this shoot, I've decided to read a book that was first published in 1958. The Skeena River of Destiny was written by a former medical missionary named Richard Large. The book is a fascinating history of the river, and although it has been updated five times, it at times can still feel somewhat dated. So far though, very much enjoying this one. Skeena River is tres cool.

If you ever get a chance to read my article this summer in the Spirit North magazine, you'll quickly learn that I'm not a very "green" guy. In fact, I have a lot to learn. I'm wasteful, I don't eat "green," I'm an embarrassment to the "green" movement. I think in a way that will make things interesting. My constant struggle to make the right "green" decisions. Anyway, this little book is a helpful guide to leading a low-carbon life. I'll be honest. I've glossed through it, and marked off some key pages. I'm sure its a decent read, I just haven't gotten to it yet.




This here book is my bible for this trip. It's basically your standard travel guide to Haida Gwaii. I like it because it basically covers off on every area that a traveller MUST visit. It's kind of like a Canadian Lonely Planet guide. Maps are great (although small,) but it does its job of getting me excited to explore the island.


This book was recommended to me by a friend, and also by the bookstore lady that showed it to me. Being that I plan to sail through Gwaii Haanas, this was a logical buy. 26 feet to the Charlotte's is a clever book that follows an older 26 foot long sailboat (or rather sloop) across the Hecate Straits. Its actually an adventure tale. Its kind of scary because of course we're sailing across...

There are other books on my radar, but so little time. Another rad find is not a book but actually a website. I found it when I was trying to find my blog online. Get this, my show is entitled "The Green Traveller." There is an amazing UK site called the "Green Traveller." Its an amazing go-to guide for anyone planning on travelling green.

Here is the link - http://www.greentraveller.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Rob,
    I love how you recognize your own struggle to be "green" and then can't find the time to read the book that would help you! Hahaha! You make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete